Friday, July 17, 2009

Ok...to be fair. The GOOD things about the south.

As I've said earlier, I am a lifelong southerner, and although the south often saddens and disappoints me,there are also a lot of things to love. For example, general politeness. People speak to you in stores, on the street, etc. Usually say things like "excuse me" or "thank you, ma'am". The checkers at wal-mart (which I also hate, but occasionally find myself in) actually help put your groceries in your cart. When I lived in Colorado, I rarely remember even the most basic of greetings from cashiers, and none of them helped me with my stuff. Also "excuse me" there has been replaced by moving as close to you as possible and glaring until you get the hint and move.
Another thing is, the south is great for slumming. You want to go out in a dirty t-shirt,flip flops, two day growth of beard, go ahead! No one looks twice, and I guarantee on your forays you'll find someone else that looks worse.
Now we come to the food. It's good,fried, and fattening. Contrary to popular belief though, southerners do not subsist on a diet of fried lard sticks. We have an amazing array of fresh fruits and veggies at our disposal,damn near year round. Speaking of food leads me to the inevitable "southerners are so FAT!" conversation. I kind of like that we're fat. Because here you're not gonna catch a lot of shit about your looks in most places. You can't live forever...gotta die of something. Why not death by fried pork chops with mashed potatoes, milk gravy and biscuits. What a way to go! My advice to northerners who bitch about it is this...pick something to do. A. Try to jog in 98 degree heat with 85 percent humidity, fall over, die of heat stroke. or B. Sit in the air conditioning with a beer and a BBQ plate. I think the choice is obvious.
Lastly I will say that in most areas the south is lush, almost like a rain forest. There are a wide and beautiful assortment of flowers and blooming trees. This makes for pretty,good smelling springs and summers.

1 comment:

  1. LMAO, thanks for posting on my blog. I think I'm going to be back at yours very often being a fat southerner and all. Unfortunately, I'm still the fattest person in a crowd most of the time, but oh well. Someone has to be don't they ;)

    ReplyDelete